Monday, September 8, 2008

WKRPoo from Cincinnati

The exciting thing about having a baby is that everything in your world is re-defined. You suddenly realize you had no idea what true ‘fear’ was until you are in an airport and lean over to get something from under the stroller, and, as you are sitting up, think to yourself, ‘What if someone walked past and lifted her out in that split second, and she won’t be there when I sit up?’ You realize that your capacity to love and be patient with another person is much, much greater than you (or your friends) would’ve thought. A ‘Monday’ in the past just meant the weekend was over, but now a rough Monday means you wake up to an infant blasting diarrhea two inches away from your face, and after you change her and rinse out her jammies and get her dressed she accidentally sticks her fingers too far down her throat and vomits all over you. Before 7:00 am. Hello, Monday.

So Jenny and I are obviously still under the weather, and I didn’t realize how bad I was until I was taking my first rectal temperature (hers, not mine) and got all dizzy and nauseous. Surprise, surprise, I had a fever also. But life must go on, so I still did the requisite 80 loads of laundry and bottle-washing and got unpacked from the evil trip and cleaned the house etc. etc. And that brings us back to Monday, and being exhausted at work. Seriously, I know that people do this all the time and with less help, but really? Again, thank sweet 8-lb little baby Jesus that Beaner is such a good baby. It makes it extra-sad that she has continued to be sunny and good-natured despite the constant poo-splosions and lack of sleep. SUCH A GOOD BABY. Please, someone make a note to remind me of this when she’s two. And twelve. And sixteen. Oh, and I cried when I took her temperature. Yes, I really am that much of a wuss. I found it to be exceedingly traumatic. I guess I just don’t think it’s right to put something in someone else’s bum without their express permission, no matter how hysterical they seem to think it is or that it is for their own good.

And I also have to go to the dentist this afternoon. Icing on the cake, baby.

Hopefully everyone out there in the internets is having a barf-and-poo –free day. Fingers crossed for my Jenny to get better very, very soon.

No comments: