Monday, August 11, 2008

All That's Missing is the Monocle

Well, it’s a very exciting week at Jellybean Manor. Mr. Pennington the Third (that’s the first name I thought of when I looked at that ridiculous picture above of Jelly) will be THREE MONTHS OLD on Wednesday. The very thought of it is so absolutely ludicrous that I first typed ‘ONE MONTH OLD’ and didn’t even realize it. Because, seriously, we’ve managed to survive three months?! And my baby, my precious, my first and only, is in the NEXT SIZE CLOTHES?!!! While this is exciting from an omg-lookit-her-closet point of view, it’s also horridly sad. When I pack away my clothes, it is usually for the season or because I’ve changed sizes, and neither occasion calls for melancholy. Ok, so maybe some melancholy, but nothing like the degree I’m experiencing with putting away Jellybean’s coming-home-from-the-hospital outfit. Everyone is making fun of me because I have decided that I have enough storage space and enough miscellaneous stupid crap that a few more boatloads of stuff won’t even be noticed, so I get to pick 1-2 outfits for every size Junior outgrows and keep ‘em. Forever. The rest I am going to box up separately and either a.) Consign them eventually or b.) Save for my next baby HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA or c.) Wait and see if my sister has another girl.

In the meantime, I had to select a few special newborn and 0-3 month outfits. I packed away the first dress I ever bought her, an atrociously priced black-and-white gingham dress from stupid Pottery Barn Kids. I remember when I bought it, six months pregnant, hardly daring to hope that a little girl might somehow pop out of me someday and into it. I of course packed her hospital outfit, a pink baby bag and matching hat from her doting Aunt N. And I had to include the outfit my mother passed along, the dress I wore home from the hospital. And I picked a favorite pair of ‘everyday’ jammies, the ones she is wearing in the above picture. So, basically, my attic is going to look like a Gymboree. I tell myself that it will be easier if I slowly weed stuff out over the next few years, kind of like pulling the band-aid off v-e-r-y slowly, but I have a feeling it will only be more and more difficult as she continues to grow in such an irritating fashion. Thank god ‘Cat’s in the Cradle’ isn’t playing somewhere nearby right now.

In other exciting plans for the week I am heading to the dentist this afternoon, Dexter is due tomorrow, I meet with the lawyer on Wednesday to draw up my will, and I am getting my hair cut (and, hopefully, the color somehow magically fixed) on Saturday. In one week I leave for Boston. Gulp.

Shout out to Tata, back in miserable Detroit. I am going to have to get a life-sized poster made of her for Jenny, who is use to seeing her 3-4 times a week. Tata got more toys and sleepers and stuff (oh my!) in preparation for next week. I have decided to call her house Tata's Daycare and Bar. What a great concept.

No comments: